Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Hairy Hippies

We're at the tip of the iceberg for a reason to celebrate the Hippies. The Summer of Love '07 is upon us (although it feels more wintry right now!) This year is the 40th anniversary of that beloved Hippie musical, Hair. My parents "made" me watch the movie version when I was in junior high. I'm not sure why they thought it was good for an adolescent to see that, but I remember thinking it was fun, even if I didn't really get it.

But this weekend and next are a chance to see Hair, the musical, in the best possible place for it - high up on mount Tam at the Mountain Ampitheatre. I'm actually going to take my dad for Father's day next weekend, since he is after all, from the Age of Aquarius. This is the PG13 version though - no nudity. Marin is losing their edge.

And if a hippie musical on a mountain isn't enough, this Sunday is also the Haight Street Fair. Having lived 2 blocks from the Haight for 9 years now, I'm a little over it, but if you've never been, it's definitely worth the trip. I remember going when I was in college at about age 19, and I passed for 16 to get the youth fare on MUNI to get there, and then passed for 21 at the beer booth on the street. That was cool. Unfortunately (or fortunately) there will be no alcohol consumption on the street this year per the police dept. Now that I'm not 19, that may be a good thing... But I'm sure you can still get whatever you want to eat on-a-stick as well as all the hemp jewelry and tie-die shirts you can handle. And don't get me wrong, there's still always an interesting artist vendor with something you NEED to buy or cool costumed musicians and crazy people with snakes around their necks to make it a worthwhile distraction for an afternoon.

Peace.