Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Gimme some Umami


Have you ever heard of this - Umami, the 5th taste? It's this Japanese sensation that from what I can gather - is basically seaweed. Well not really, but that's one of the things that is has the umami flavor - sort of a sweet/salty/acidic combo. Typically it was brought out in foods by using MSG, but now chefs are exploring other ways to introduce it to us.

The Umami Information Center (now that's a niche if there ever was one) is hosting a tasting dinner at the Hyatt downtown on the 21st. I totally want to go, but I'll be at another wedding. But you should go! One of the chefs is Thomas Keller! It's only $100 - a good price for a special meal prepared by start chefs, if you ask me. You'll have to take the day off work though - it's a Monday from 11:30AM - 4:30PM. A regular umami feast it sounds like.

But, if like me you're not around, or your boss knows umami isn't a disease that can keep you "home from work," the restaurant Ame has their own umami tasting menu that is available from July 14-Aug 3.


And if you'd rather try it at home, you can find recipes on the Umami Info site. Yum! I also found this cookbook on Amazon. I might have to add it to my library. I'm so intrigued by the way they say umami is in foods from around the world - and they happen to be all my favorites! Everything from gazpacho and salads with anchovies to Vietnamese Spring Rolls to those crazy Japanese "pizzas," okonomiyaki.



Bon Appetit!

No comments: