Thursday, August 2, 2007

Old School Vacation to the Catskills

I college, I got to go to the Catskills as part of my "Wilderness in the North American Imagination" course, AKA Camping for Credit. I think it was one of my favorite classes, and yes, the field trip was part of it! We went to a former utopian community in Woodstock, and it was way cool. In the summer it's an artists retreat now, but we got there just as it was becoming fall and the leaves were turning and it was beautiful! It became completely clear why all those romantic painters of the early 20th c. painted such glorious pictures of the Hudson valley and the Catskill mountins - it really looks like that!

Enough reminiscing - go on vacation to the Catskills. I came across this very goovy sounding retreat called The Roxbury. They do capitalize a bit on the hippie roots of the area, complete with a "Shagadellic Suite" but it looks like a lot of fun. And the rates aren't outrageous either!

They even claim to have skiing and snowboarding there - I'm not sure how it is compared to Tahoe, but could be worth a visit just for kicks.