Friday, January 9, 2009

Showing my Cards


Since I can only cover so many things here, and obviously, I've been a bit remiss in keeping this up to date anyway, I thought I'd take this opportunity to share one of my sources.

FunCheapSF.com is one of my favorite places to find out about the goings on here, especially those that are fun and cheap! I met Johnny Hayes, AKA Johnny FunCheap, at a San Francisco Small Business Administration class about how to get your business started, and it was like meeting a minor celebrity. He was so nice and easy going, and after meeting him, I knew for sure that I would trust his advice on what to do. He does a great job of curating his list, and I've often followed his recommendations, and was not disappointed.


And today, I just saw that he was featured on NPR in an interview. Listen for yourself and you'll get the idea. He's on first, but then followed by some others who are doing things in a similar vein, so you could listen to the whole thing if you want. Links to a bunch more useful sites are also listed here. Among them, myBART.org (free events near BART stations), MyOpenBar.com (places to find free drinks), and TunedInSF.com (free music events).

And to further vouch for Johnny FunCheap's events, he listed an event that I was putting on a while back, and everyone I met who came who had read about it on FunCheap were super nice cool people too. And totally a diverse bunch, exemplifying the greatness that is San Francisco.

So, don't hide in your homes with the heat cranked up thinking that you're saving money in the recession. Turn down the heat and head out to see what you find!

No comments: