Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Open those windows!

I usually wake up to KFOG, and today they had on Zem Joaquin, the writer for Ecofabulous, an eco-blog. Now all this stinks of SF-uber-eco-ness to me... Don't get me wrong, I am a friend of the earth, but sometimes all this hippy-dippy hoo-ha is a little much.

But between snooze buttons, I listened to what Zem had to say. The thing that really got my attention was that the air quality inside your home is 2-5 times WORSE than the air outside! Hard to believe, but she had decent back-up info. Mostly the worst offenders to indoor air quality are mold and cleaning products (a contradiction, it may seem). But both of which do make appearances in my home - a cause for concern that opening the windows more often can help cure.

Here's her blog, with the info on the indoor air quality. She could use a few paragraph breaks in there since it made me go a little cross eyed looking at it. But there are some nuggets of info in there to get you breathing easier indoors.

She also mentioned a store on Polk Street called Spring, that carries all sorts of products that you may need to have a healthier home. I may pay them a visit at some point... While I'm a little skeptical about some of this stuff, I'm not opposed to having the air inside my house be a little healthier than that when I'm walking down market street and the bus just went by. Bleech!

And now that the sun came out, I'm going to open my windows.