Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Achieve Clarity and Relevance

The reason you didn't get a post yesterday was because I had a very busy day doing pretty cool things. One of which, I will share with you today here. The other was going to see Polyphonic Spree at the Great American, which was fantastic - highly reccommend going to see them live sometime. But since that's in the past, I won't waste your time.

The thing I did all day was attend a seminar by Edward Tufte on Presenting Data and Information. Sounds dry and boring, but was really great! We studied him in school for his graphic design lessons in clear presentation of information, and I used Gill Sans on all my projects then because he used it in his books. But it was really great to hear him talk about it all in person!

He covers ways to present statistical data, information graphics and do it all with clarity and relevance. He also talks a lot about methods of presentation, and how PowerPoint can actually hinder your presentation. This was not a course just for graphic designers, everyone I talked to did something different - environmental consulting, university recruiting, user interface design, business-types, lawyers, it goes on and on.

The seminar is one day, and you get all 4 of his books with it. I think EVERYONE should take this class, as there's something you can all get out of it. And you could even probably get work to pay for it.

And check out his website too - it's easy to get lost there exploring his Ask E.T. Forum for hours.