Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The new musical

For those of you who think movie musicals are hokey, this one will hopefully help change your mind. And for those of you who enjoy the musical, or just a beautiful, sweet, love story, this movie is for you. It's called Once, and is just a wonderful little film.

I heard about it on the radio, and since then I've read reviews, all of which say the same thing. It's a small movie, but good. It's not too long, not too complicated, has a simple production value, and is full of great music. I came out of the movie sort of hypnotized by the melodies, and was sorely disappointed that the theater had sold out of soundtracks. Luckily it's on iTunes also and I'm downloading now!

The movie is the story of two young people in Dublin, one a singer-songwriter, vacuum cleaner repairman and the other a Czech immigrant who sells roses and cleans houses and has a lovely voice. They find music as their common ground and their love grows, but it's not really that simple. I'll leave the rest for you to see in the movie, and I'm sure you'll want to listen more than once.

And here's a bonus - a charming animation of one of the sillier songs in the movie.