Thursday, May 22, 2008

Take to the streets!

Sorry for flaking on posting lately. I totally missed out on telling you about National Cocktail Week last week - I hope you had a couple anyway!

But today I'm going to do a two for one since I found 2 interesting things to do this weekend, but of course, they're on the same day!



First, head down to the Mission on Sunday morning to see the Carnival parade. My friend is performing in one of the dance troupes, so I'm excited to see her! (BTW, that's not her in the pic, she said her costume is a little more "covered." I don't blame her!) Here are her suggestions:

1. The parade starts at 24th and Bryant at about 10am (we are #20 out of 80 groups or so and the name of our group is 'Caribe Sabroson' - we are the Mission Cultural Center's contingent)
2. It winds over to Mission (not Bryant!) and down Mission until we hit 17th
3. It then turns right (East) on 17th Street
4. It then turns left (North) on South Van Ness (which is essentially the end for watchers... it does go down to 15th, but that is not a true watching area).

I recommend finding a spot somewhere on Mission, between 24th and 18th (the corner at 17th will be weird and you may not see us well) After you hoot and holla for us, you can head over to hear the Carnaval bands, check out the food booths, vendors, and main stage (more live performances- samba, etc) that are all along Harrison street, essentially parallel to Mission, from 24th to 17th.




And next, once you're all fed and happy with tacos and salsa music, head over to Hayes valley for Capsule - a design festival full of local artisans. I'm a sucker for these things, but they usually have great stuff. I've decided not to buy jewelry from stores anymore - only artisans, and I always get compliments! They'll be set up until 6, so that should give you plenty of shopping time. And then you're right there among all those great restaurants for dinner!

Looking forward to a good day on Sunday!